NARST Strand Descriptions
For a listing of Strand Coordinators click here and refer to the Program Committee.
- Science Learning, Understanding and Conceptual Change
How students learn for understanding and conceptual change.
- Science Learning: Contexts, Characteristics and Interactions
Learning environments, teacher-student and student-student interactions, and factors related to and/or affecting learning.
- Science Teaching — Primary School (Grades preK-6): Characteristics and Strategies
Teacher cognition, content knowledge, pedagogical knowledge, pedagogical content knowledge, instructional materials and strategies.
- Science Teaching — Middle and High School (Grades 5-12): Characteristics and Strategies
Teacher cognition; content knowledge, pedagogical knowledge, pedagogical content knowledge, and instructional materials and strategies.
- College Science Teaching and Learning (Grades 13-20)
Instructor cognition, content knowledge, pedagogical knowledge, pedagogical content knowledge, student understanding and learning, and conceptual change at postsecondary level.
- Science Learning in Informal Contexts
Learning and teaching in museums, outdoor settings, community programs, communications media and after-school programs.
- Pre-service Science Teacher Education
Pre-service professional development of teachers, pre-service teacher education programs and policy, field experience, and issues related to pre-service teacher education reform.
- In-service Science Teacher Education
Continuing professional development of teachers, in-service teacher education programs and policy, and issues related to in-service teacher education reform.
- Reflective Practice
Teacher inquiry, action research, self-study practices, and transformative education.
- Curriculum, Evaluation, and Assessment
Curriculum development, change, implementation, dissemination and evaluation, including alternative forms of assessment of teaching and learning.
- Cultural, Social, and Gender Issues
Equity and diversity issues: sociocultural, multicultural, bilingual, racial/ethnic, and gender equity studies.
- Educational Technology
Computers, interactive multimedia, video and other technologies.
- History, Philosophy, Sociology, and Nature of Science
Historical, philosophical and social issues of science as related to science education.
- Environmental Education
Ecological education; experiential education; education for sustainable development; indigenous science.
The construction, interpretation, and implementation of science education policies and reforms at the local, regional, national, or international levels.