2020-2021 Call for President-Elect Nominations
Dear NARST Members:
We'd like to remind you of the extension of the call for the 2020-2021 elections for leadership positions for NARST: A Worldwide Organization for Improving Science Teaching and Learning through Research. The extension of the call for nominations is only for the President-Elect position. Following the NARST 2016 Bylaws, current members of NARST are encouraged to nominate potential candidates for the office of President-Elect by following a simple nomination procedure. We invite you to help us advance and improve NARST by soliciting the participation of dedicated and effective leaders. This letter provides the basic information about the election process and encourages you to nominate yourself or qualified colleagues for offices.
According to the Bylaws of NARST, the nomination process begins by members (nominators) generating a petition nominating a potential candidate (themselves or another NARST member). The petition, formal letter or email message, should include a brief statement of support for the prospective candidate and the signatures of at least ten (10) Association members in support of the nomination. However, if a member is nominated by an Elections Committee member and the nominee has served on the NARST Board, then the requirement for ten (10) endorsements is waived. The Bylaws read:
“Association members may offer potential nominees for consideration by the Elections Committee by forwarding a petition to the Executive Director of NARST. Each petition must be signed by at least ten (10) Association members” (NARST Bylaws, February 2016, Article IV, Section 9). However, if a member is nominated by an Elections Committee member and the nominee has served on the NARST Board, then the requirement for ten (10) endorsements is waived.
In accordance with the Bylaws, please take note of the following requirements:
- Candidates for all positions must be current and active NARST Members.
- Candidates should be members with an outstanding research record.
- Candidates for President-Elect must have served previously on the Board and have been a member of the Association for a minimum of ten (10) years. A candidate for President-Elect who has not served on the Board, but who has been a member of the Association for a minimum of ten (10) years, must submit a brief statement of support with the signatures of at least ten (10) other members in support of the nomination (NARST Bylaws, February 2016, Article IV, Section 5).
How to Complete and Submit a Nomination Packet:
Each nominator will assemble and deliver the following materials to the NARST Executive Director, who will forward the information to the Elections committee. The Executive Director will only forward complete packets received by 11:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time on August 15, 2020. The Elections Committee is charged with assessing all submitted nominees’ materials in order to advance a recommended slate of potential candidates to the NARST Board of Directors for approval. The NARST membership will vote for candidates on the Board-approved slate. The packet submitted by nominators should include the following:
- A letter of nomination. This letter is written by the nominator, addressing qualifications of the nominee for President-elect.
- Documents indicated in the Nomination Packet Guidelines, found on page 84 of the Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Ten written endorsements (can be brief emails from ten NARST members in support of the nomination) [Bylaws, Article IV, Section 9]. However, the requirement for ten (10) endorsements is waived when a nomination is offered by an Elections Committee member and the nominee has previously served on the NARST Board.
Nominators, please send the completed nomination packet electronically to:
NARST Executive Director
Due date for complete packets: August 15, 2020, 11:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time.